Friday, January 18, 2008

The terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

"Chamomile"
8"x10" acrylic on stretched canvas
SOLD

This was a good painting to work on tonight- chamomile tea is always a good thing, though, isn't it? Nice and soothing, with a little bit of honey in it... I should try painting some tea with a lemon slice floating in it, I bet that would be beautiful.

I'm sure I'm violating some kind of somebody's copyright, using the title of a book as the title of today's blog post, especially when I (beastly unfortunate) can't remember the name of the author.... hold on, I'll go find it.

There we go. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst and Ray Cruz- loved it as a kid. Don't you just love amazon? I do- if I could go on there more often without spending obscene amounts of money that I really, really don't have.... oh, whatever. I say my mouse is demon-possessed. That's right, Kellie- blame it on the poor, defenseless mouse.

Which, ladies and gentlemen, is why I hardly ever click over to Amazon, that blessed, insubstantial wonderland for all bibliophiles everywhere.

What was so bad about it? It began with some serious but not unexpected work drama, and moved into the usual gallery of people drama. And then, as I was on the way to Home Depot to purchase the ninth smoke detector of the day, my car begins squealing, shaking, and smoking.

These are three very-not-good s's when it comes to vehicular issues- and trust me, you are reading the blog of a woman who can sense the finer distinctions between the aromas of burning oil, transmission fluid, and brake fluid. A woman who has crawled under her pickup truck in a crowded parking lot to bang on her gas tank with a brick to get her fuel pump working. Repeatedly. A woman who has dealt with the smaller inconveniences of doors that will not unlock, vehicles that refuse to go in reverse, vehicles that spontaneously redlined and had to be turned off in the middle of the road, radios that magically tuned themselves to static, brake fluid leaks so severe that a single thirty mile trip required completely refilling the tank, and things generally being so messed up under the hood that I once had a mechanic express his sincere wonder that the thing I was driving at the time had not burst into flame on the way to the mechanic shop. I'm familiar with vehicular issues.

So, my poor car is on the side of the road in downtown Durham, and I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to remedy this problem. And until that occurs, I'm going to go have my first Rangpur gin and tonic since New Year's Eve. You guys have a wonderful Friday night.

Post #18

No comments:

Post a Comment