Saturday, August 30, 2008

Virtual Sketch Date


and the tale of the decorative cabbage :) It's been a month already! Kinda scary, huh? Yeah, I think so too. Had no idea what to do with the image we were working from, tried a couple things and just couldn't get it rolling, but I went to the Natural History Museum in Raleigh today and stood around like a dork sketching dinosaur skeletons in graphite and white pastel on tinted paper, so I decided to keep rolling with a good thing. Hope you like it!
And now, well, I'm off to play. It's labor day weekend!

12 comments:

  1. I think the museum worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it!
    Puts me in mind of morning sun just hitting the leaves.

    Your demitasse picture is scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a very good job. I like it in the monochrome colors. You got very good values.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the feeling of warm light in this one, Kellie,
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! You've really made the cabbage come alive using only three values.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kellie.
    I agree with Leslie it is like early morning light or maybe evening.
    Very original interpretation and I love it.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kellie, I like what you did with the values in this. I think you picked a challenging route because the highlights in the reference weren't very strong. But you found them and used them to your advantage and it worked great. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really did get a sculptural, bone-like quality to your drawing (must have been the museum!)- This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, how clever to use the paper for the mid tone! The light tips really pop out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Graphite and pastel, I really like it. I am just loving the many different interpretations this month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your drawing is a "good thing"! I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yay, comments! I love this virtual sketch date thing, and can't wait for the next one :)

    ReplyDelete