Friday, September 12, 2008

Emerald Isle evening

"Sunset Stroll"
5"x7" acrylic on canvasboard
collection of James Ribet
I got to thinking, with wanting to do something from the beach, my paintings are usually very intimate, aren't they? Close up on something small, a teacup, a flower....

So I wanted to bring that whole compulsive attention to color thing to bear on something where I'm trying to fit something amazing and spacious and atmospheric into a little 5"x7" space, and after an alarming amount of time and glazing and seriously unexpected color combinations, I really think I got it. And now, there's a tiny couple strolling on the beach at sunset, right there at the edge of the surf, with an early moon above them.

Too kitschy? Ugh, I hope not... it was so much fun trying to get the gradations right, you know? And I put all the houses there on the beach and everything.... oh, well. Pretty. And now I'm returning to the comfort of my strawberry margarita. Happy Friday!

#256

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I just left California a couple of months ago. I lived on the beach there for a year and a half. I miss the ocean so much. This painting is a painting of my ocean. The colors, the sand, the marine layer, the wisps of clouds. I can hear those waves on the sand and I can feel the sand fall away from under my feet as the water carries back to the ocean. I can even smell the salt in the air.

    Thank you Kellie for bringing back such wonderful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylvia, thanks so much!

    And Michael.... wow. I'm overwhelmed that it could have such an impact on someone.... thank you so, so much for sharing *hug*

    ReplyDelete