Saturday, November 29, 2008

Not exactly November....


Daffodils 4
5"x7" acrylic on hardboard panel
collection of Sandra Price

But I've been craving some springtime, and so I went back to some reference pics I took at Duke Gardens in February- so, pretty much, we're looking a few months into the future, right? Just three months or so, not bad at all :D
And I l-o-v-e how this one turned out, too. Happy. See how translucent the petals are? And the cool shadows against the yellows moments?
Also, I've been tagged! The tag-ger was the wonderful Faye Christian Phillips (that's a link, click on it), and as tag-gee I'm to tell seven things about myself, and tag seven more people. Fun :)
First, the seven "things"
1. I'm a total bibliophile, and am always in the middle of some book. And I re-read all of the ones I own. My favorite author is Margaret Atwood (try her Oryx and Crake, it's an amazing post-apocalyptic dystopia kind of thing), and my favorite poet is Edgar Allan Poe (no, he's not always as gloomy as the Raven. Evening Star is a particularly beautiful one of his).
2. I'm hopelessly and terminally motion-sensitive. I can't go on any ride that goes in a circle or upside down, can't look at a map, a book, crochet, or a sketchbook in the car, would rather ride in the bed of a truck than the backseat of a car, and I've just accepted the fact that I shouldn't eat for 24 hours before getting on a plane.
3. Used to be really, really religious. Not so much anymore.... kind of making a religion out of acceptance and moderation.
4. Yeah, the moderation thing. I smoke, drink, cuss, and break certain laws. All in moderation, of course :) At least by my standards. Hehe.
5. Love cats. Don't really dislike dogs, but cats are infinately superior. They have retractable claws, they don't drool, they don't bark, they don't jump up, and they purr. Awesome feature in a pet.
6. And I have the best cat ever. Truly. He's adorable, sweet despite the whole evilness thing, and he plays fetch. Yes, seriously.
7. I really have no idea how people run out of inspiration, or things to paint. I think I could be put in a closed circuit with only my existing reference materials and existing little still life thing-a-ma-bobbies and be perfectly happy creating pictures for the next decade or so. Hopefully that feeling will continue forever.
And the tagging of the people:

#334

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kellie - nice to meet ya ;) BEAUTIFUL daffodil painting! Thanks for tagging me - I am gonna play - just as soon as I check out the rest of your blog and website and the other links and stuff, ooh "Porcelain" is beautiful too. Oh fun - see ya later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kellie,
    Thanks for "playing" --I agree about feeling I could always find inspiration. We must be naturally curious and enjoy the problem solving that comes with creating, don't you think?
    Can't wait to check out your "tags"
    happy painting,
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is fun! Thanks for the tag. I'm from NC also. Have some work at the Green Hill Center for Art in Greensboro. Their Winter Show Opening is Saturday Dec 6th from 7pm - 11pm. If you are in the area might be a fun night. There's a preview and more info here http://www.greenhillcenter.org/exhibition/winter2008/home.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nathalie- I'm so glad you're playing too! Looking forward to seeing your tag post, as well as continuing to watch your blog- you post some really amazing pieces!

    Faye- Of course I'm playing! I'm so glad you tagged me :) And glad to hear you have that same feeling about there being such an infinate supply of painting subjects out there- I usually think of it as being attributable to my tendency to analyze/overanalyze everything I come across, but I really like the natural curiousity and problem solving phrasing :D Awesome. And of course looking forward to seeing what you come up with next- your dresses series was amazing, and the shadows as well!

    LC- Yay, playing along! And I didn't know you were so close by! Greensboro is a little bit of a drive from Durham, but I might be in the area, and if so I'll definately come by. And I'd love to see some of your stuff in person, too- you have the most wonderful compositions, and artsork tends to look even better in person than online...

    ReplyDelete