Friday, December 31, 2010

Shell Fragment

2"x3"
This is going to drive me crazy- this is an absolutely adorable little painting, but I can't get a clear picture of it for love now money! I'm betting it's the size...
In a few hours it'll be next year. The weather is finally back to a normal sort of North Carolina winter- fifty-ish and drizzly, which is a huge relief from that psycho cold we've been having....
And I got to go see the Norman Rockwell exhibit at the North Carolina Museum of Art today! It was amazing, absolutely amazing.
I know he was an illustrator. But aren't we all, in some way or another? I knew he had a sense of humor, I knew he was amazing at creating expressions and emotions....
What I didn't know was how absolutely breathtaking his brushwork was. Glazes here, negative painting there, thick daubs in just the right spots, not a wasted motion or a single goofy "hey look at me, I'm oil paint" slappy gob-on-gob thing... just whatever he needed to create the illusion, you know? To give life. It was amazing :)
#1095

No comments:

Post a Comment